What to bring to the Hospital when having a baby?… Google Searched every modern pregnant lady ever.
Ask a group of women what to put in your hospital birth bag and you will get a range of answers. Some good, some creative, and some excessive.
With my fist birth I went the excessive route. I’m pretty sure I could have had quite the comfortable post-apocalyptic birth recovery with how much I over packed.
I soon realized that I only needed about 10% of what I brought. So in the spirit of simplicity, here are the essentials to remember when packing your hospital birth bag. Do a hospital tour and you may find you can can even shave a few more off the list.
For Mom & Dad:
- 2 copies of your birth plan
- Toiletries (toothbrush, deodorant, lip balm, hair ties, etc)
- A few sets of comfy clothes for both
- Nursing bras or tanks
- Labor gown OR outfit you don’t mind getting dirty (if you don’t want a drafty hospital gown)
- Phone charger
- Music & speaker or headphones
- Change for vending machines
- A doula! Sure they cant fit in the bag, but a doula will help keep you both comfortable and feeling confident! Plus we doulas will bring our own bag of tricks(both literally and figuratively) to navigate labor and all that comes with it.
- 2-4 sets of sleepers or warm baby clothes
- Nursing pillow
- Warm hat and blanket for the drive home(leave in the car seat to save room in your bag)
- Car seat (leave in the car at 36weeks & there is no need to bring it inside when you check in)
Remember- Don’t bring anything with a strong smell!
- Water bottle
- Clear juices/gatorade/EmergenC
- Applesauce squeeze packs
- Protein filled snacks (jerky, cheese, etc)
- Breakfast cookies/granola bars
- Dried nuts & fruit
- Chocolate or other treats (you deserve it!)
- Lolly pops or hard candies to help keep your mouth moist (preggy-pops may help with nausea)
NO NEED TO BRING:
- Labor ball (they have them in each room)
- Breast pump (they have hospital grade ones there)
- Breast pads (most likely your milk won’t come in until after you are home)
- Sanitary pads (hospital will provide)
- Diapers/wipes (hospital will provide)
If you forget anything they will most likely have it available there. So no need to over pack!
Download My FREE Printable Packing List!
Please provide your name and email address for your free download.